Friday, June 10, 2011

My Rainman

I was on my way home and I decided that tonight would be a positive night.  Even though it has been a difficult week.  Anyone that knows me, probably can understand that Sunday's and any other day is not a good day for me and as Father's Day approaches, I anticipate that it will be very hard day for me and my family.

I was just thinking about Jared, my Rainman.  And you may ask yourself, why would I call him Rainman.  Well, let me explain.  But, I may have to interject another story that makes me smile. And, probably it doesn't pertain to the Rainman explanation, but it is just a story that makes me laugh. 

Let's go back to the 1980's.  Every year the memory seems farther away.  I'm sure everyone has those memories that have lasted forever.  I'm not sure if it is polite to name people directly in a blog, so I will call him, hum, Tony.   Now that is funny in itself, but more of an inside joke.

Now people from my generation (I can't believe I just said that) can remember break dancing and popping.  It was huge.  Break dancing movies, popping in the streets, spinning, etc.  The whole Michael Jackson moon walking thing was huge.  And, of course, I couldn't do any of it.

Tony loved to pop, however, he would never pop when someone was looking, it was always when people had their backs turned.  All you would hear is Tony popping his chest.  I always wanted to see him.  Once, I did get the privilege to see him in action.  But, mostly, I just heard the pop.  It is still good to talk about this at family gatherings and holidays.  I just pray that one day, and I do ask every time, that Tony will trill me by doing this "just one more time". 

We will move onto the present and my Rainman.  And the memory I have of the popping, is very similar.  As some may think that Rainman may not be complimentary, but it definitely is to me.  I loved the movie, Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman, and the great story of Raymond and Charlie Babbitt.  If only my Rainman could count cards.  And my family realizes that I mean this in a very positive and loving way.  I want to share with you how proud I am of Jared and how he makes me smile.

Jared has always been very talented.  He is a country boy through and through.  He has a very special talent.  He knows the words to every country song.  If you think I'm exaggerating.  I'm not.  If we can only get him on that sing the lyrics show, I (he) would be loaded.  I needed a good laugh and as I was driving home, I remember his last weekend riding with me and him changing the station from country station to country station to country station.  As he changes the channel, he immediately knows every song, every word, without missing a beat. 

As he sits beside me, pointing out that the light is no longer on for the airbags, his favorite song comes on, "Shake it for Me" by Luke Bryan.  I believe Luke Bryan has passed Brad Paisley in Jared's  hierarchy of country favorites with the new song.  I don't know the lyrics to this song and I really don't know what it is about, but I can only image from the title it's probably not appropriate but, for a teenage boy, okay, I get it!

He looks at me, very serious, and I am going to try to paint a picture for you.  He puts his hand on his chest and very seriously, sings every word to this song.  He never forgets a word or a beat.  And is singing as if he is on the CMT Awards show.  The look on his face is priceless!  It takes me back to the Christmas he received his Sony Walkman (cassette) and the Dixie Chicks tape.  I would post a picture of him in his underwear, sippy cup, headphones on, listening to the Dixie Chick, but I'm sure that he would not appreciate it.  This is one of my happiest memory.  What a life?  Chocolate milk, favorite music and Christmas.  Ever since, he has been known as my country Rainman.  Now only if we could apply this talent to algebra and language.

I look at Jared now and the man he is becoming.  I am very proud of him.  Jared has overcome many challenges and has not always had things come easily, but he's forgiving, loving, funny, handsome, has a smile that can melt your heart and can sing you any country song written (after the Dixie Chick time period).  What lady would not love all that?  Well, that ladies are going to have to wait.  I have him for a few more years!

I love you! :)


1 comment:

  1. He is sweet and country all the way! I will say I knew he would love that song just like he has always loved the GIRLS! Trisha will never forget the way he looks at her every time he sees her hahahahah.

    ReplyDelete