Friday, June 3, 2011

If only my name began with the letter "K"

As I wrote the About Me stuff for my blog, I was very hesitant to list my name.  It might come as a surprise but my name is really not Nellie. I may not be Nellie, but as I thought about my previous post, I'm most certainly negative.  I do believe that the blog is helping me become aware of all the negativity I think or feel throughout my day.  So maybe this will be a helpful process.
Today at work I spoke to someone on the phone whose name was Tina.  Tina from Arizona.  She got a laugh out of the fact that my name was also Tina.  She asked how old I am and I told her and she was about the same age.  Then she talked about how our name must have been a popular name during that time. 

I began thinking about how many famous people named Tina.  How many can you name?  Tina Turner....that is about it.  That is how I felt growing up.   What if my name started with the letter "K"?  Oh, how my life might have been different, just by having a name that started with the letter "K".  Have you ever met someone named Kellie that you didn't love?


There are some pretty famous people whose name start with the letter "K" -  73 to be exact.  I know this because I can google.  All the Kardashian's names begin with the letter "K", except for Bruce and Rob (I hate that I know that).  There are tons of Kate, Katie, Kim, Kelly, Katherine.  The possibilities are endless!  It is not that I want to be famous, but my name just really didn't make a statement like maybe another name could have.  Or maybe, I was just too shy and blamed it on my poor name.

Once in the 6th grade, I tried to change the spelling of my name to make it a little "cooler".  So, I unofficially changed it to Teena.  How cool is that?  It lasted about 2 days.  Now when I look at my 6th grade yearbook, some autographs are spelled Tina and some are spelled Teena.  Just goes to show that maybe the name Tina was popular in the 1960's but, not so much in the 1970's.  Well, maybe it was only me.  The Tina from Arizona loves her name and loves that there are not that many Tina's in the world.  Just take Ginger from Gilligan's Island - she was a movie star and guess what her name is Tina Louise. 
 I must admit, as I blog about this name issue, my mother may have just liked the name Tina.  And I am who I am.  

No comments:

Post a Comment