Sunday, June 26, 2011

Empty Nest

I often wonder what an empty nest would feel like.  As I watch the Real Housewives of New Jersey, Caroline is experiencing empty nest syndrome.  I think this is my week to experience this experience for myself.  Anna and Noah will be at Aunt Linda's house, Jared will be working at the fireworks stand, and Jake in Chicago.  The whole week will be my own!  This doesn't happen often and not for such a long period of time.


Last night, we went to the drive-in.  As I stood in line for the nastiest bathroom in history and with no toilet paper, by the way.  I talked with a young women with two very small children.  Oh, how I remember these days.  I remember thinking, this will never end.  And just for the record, I bought diapers for 11 years straight.  I told her that I am so very glad those days are over.  Well, thinking about it, maybe I'm not as happy as I thought.

It is great that I have such wonderful family members that love my kids.  Aunt Linda watches Anna and Noah all week while I work.  I gripe about the drive to Ashville, but really, it's a small  for the benefit of having someone who will take the kids for sacrifice a whole week at a time and for the whole summer.  The kids love Aunt Linda and Uncle Charlie.  Did I mention they lived on the lake?  Who wouldn't want to spend the whole summer on the la

Then there is Jared.  He spends the summer with his cousin Brianna and who, I might say, is becoming quite the salesman.  Apparently, he can sale fireworks like no other 14 year old.  He has been working with Brianna for several seasons at the fireworks stand.  He even has repeat customers who ask specifically for him and will only purchase from him upon his guidance. 


And Jake will be in Chicago working with inner-city kids and helping with Vacation Bible School.  I pray that he has a safe trip, an enjoyable trip and one that will be a revelation for him.  I am so grateful for the people that love him unconditionally.  The men in his life, genuinely care for him and are helping guide him to make good choices in life.  I pray that he allows them to reach out to him and accept their guidance. 

As I look at the kids growing up and no longer need me to buckle them into their car seats, to bath them, to feed them, to change them, to answer the question "why",  it makes me sad.  Sad for the years that have passed.  I truly miss my kids when they are gone, even though I thought it would be easy and enjoyable.  I find myself thinking about Jake and hoping that his trip is as amazing as he hoped, Anna and Noah, swimming and fishing from the beginning of their day until the dark of the evening, and Jared, selling, learning to be helpful and learn the value of his dollar, as well as, being helpful and a positive role model for his biggest fan, Grant.


What will I do while I get a brief taste of my empty nest?  I will probably do nothing.  I will drive around, maybe shop alittle, eat pretty good meals.  But I do know, that my children will not be far from my thoughts.  I usually tell new parents, that when their child is born, you never think about anything else, you mind is always on your child/children.  Which has been true for me.  You hope they are safe, you hope that they have what they need,  you hope that they needs are taken care of, and you hope that they experience love. 

Is there anything else you can hope for your children? 

No comments:

Post a Comment